Friday 5 January 2007

Happy New Year.....Five Days Late!!!

I trust you all enjoyed your New Year’s Celebrations!! I rang in 2007 at two different locations! (Yes, it is possibleJ) Memories of that night include….visiting with friends, new and old….laughing…sharing stories…eating….drinking (ginger ale and coffee :)) …playing party games…dancing in the dining room…driving in the pouring rain, not snow…singing “Auld Lang Syne” off key and with the wrong words ( does anyone know the correct words!!!)…enjoying the moment!!!
Typically the new year is a time for reflection and setting resolutions. I must admit, I am not one for setting “New Year’s Resolutions” although I do think about what I want to accomplish for the year. I got to thinking about goal setting as of late, reflecting on why many of my goals do not become reality!! (I should clarify here that I am referring to my personal life and not my professional life.) I have great intentions like many people, but I am the type of person who thinks in the present. Sure, I have some visionary talents, but tend to live life in the present. I do know this can be a problem :) Over the years, I have learned to be a future thinker and have learned to set measurable goals. Yet, some of these goals still never became reality. Why? I used to think it was because I set too many complicated goals. So, last year, I decided to simplify… “Live each day as a new adventure waiting to be explored… I will ask myself each morning, what adventure am I going to encounter today.” An honourable goal it is, but evaluating how I did in 2006 can be a tricky task!!
I read somewhere it is important to write down your goals and post them in a place where you see them everyday. Apparently, people who do this accomplish their goals.
In addition, I found some helpful tips on “making resolutions a reality” on Dr. Phil’s website: www.drphil.com/articles.
Subsequently, I decided to combine all of the lessons I learned about turning goals into action! Simplify…Measurable…Timeline…Accountability. For me, the important step is to post my goals in a place I see them everyday. I anticipate 2007 to be a brilliant year! I look forward to this adventure of living out my resolutions, even though I am five days late in making them!!!

No comments: