Saturday 27 February 2010

The well runs deep


I went to a deep place this past week. A place I hadn't visited since I left it long ago during the innocence of my youth. It amazes me how a seemingly insignificant situation can trigger the painful memories, rather than the delightful memories, of navigating adolescence. Perhaps my sub-conscious is revisiting this place because of the context of my job at the minute.

I am fully immersed in the life and troubling times of the young teenagers in my charge at the school where I work. The drama of their life is overshadowing their educational needs. It makes me sad to see so many young teenagers ( age 12 and 13) with deep wounds already in their life. We have an amazing staff who care and are trying to steer them in the right direction. But, it takes its toll. So many damaged souls. Is it the mandate of educational institutions to care for the emotional needs of these children? It seems to be a "catch-22." Before many of these students are capable of moving forward in their academic pursuits, their damaged souls need to be mended. It is a tall order.

Hindsight tells me it is vital to walk wisely in these formative years. It is vital to form positive friendships. It is vital to be grounded in moral and academic pursuits. Yet, part of the rite of passage through adolescence is experiencing life all on our own.

I am proud of the way I manoeuvred my way through " this coming of age" juncture. It has shaped me into the strong, intelligent, amusing, beautiful woman I am today! The journey into the dark, deep well of painful adolescent experience only makes me more thankful for the life God has allowed me to live and empowers me to effectively help the teenage charges in my care!

No comments: