Saturday 20 February 2010

Bonjours mes amies!

Here I am standing on one of the many cobblestone streets of "Vieux" - Old - Montreal, Quebec, last weekend!

Ready for a mid-winter break, I chose a colder climate rather than the warmth and sun of a more southern destination that most of my fellow Ontarians choose this time of year. It may have been a crazy decision but well worth the adventure. I chose a destination with a rich history here in Canada. In fact, it is where it all began for our country over 300 years ago. French explorers, Jacques Cartier and Samuel de Champlain left their home country and landed in "New France" in the late 1500's, early 1600's.

Montreal is one of the first cities established in Canada. Of course the aborginal peoples were already here but these french explorers didn't know that and were thrilled they discovered this great country enroute to Asia! They had no idea there was a continent in between Europe and Asia! Montreal is a beautiful city and I had the privilege of visiting friends last weekend. I recorded my trip over here at my web album site.

I am house sitting for a month so am without internet ( ugh)! Right now I am sitting with my laptop at our public library trying to frantically download pics and write this blog post before closing time! I have made comments to go along with the pics so enjoy the adventure! It truly was wonderful and felt like I was in a different country! (French is the first language of Quebec and the official second language of Canada).

Joie de vivre mes amies!

Oh I should link another one of my winter "adventures" here. Check it out!

No comments: