Saturday 6 February 2010

Bosom Buddies

("After the storm passed by," Bangor Country Club, Northern Ireland, July 2008)
Anne tipped the vase of apple blossoms near enough to bestow a soft kiss on a pink-cupped bud, and then studied diligently for some moments longer.

"Marilla," she demanded presently, "do you think that I shall ever have a bosom friend in Avonlea?'

"A--what kind of friend?"

"A bosom friend--an intimate friend, you know--a really kindred spirit to whom I can confide my inmost soul. I've dreamed of meeting her all my life. I never really supposed I would, but so many of my loveliest dreams have come true all at once that perhaps this one will too. Do you think it's possible?"

(Anne of Green Gables)


It comes from out of no where. When we least expect it. Life is strange that way. However, ironically life prepares us for this moment. The moment when we have to briefly step out of our self-absorbed world taking the focus off our life and its craziness and step into the world of our close circle, our bosom friends, supporting, encouraging, protecting them through their adversities. It is not the time to abandon their plight. It is the time we muster the courage to see them through to the other side.

Several beautiful souls in my circle are in the "winter of their discontent." Their angst resonates in my spirit. But, now is the time for me to support them in the ways they need supporting. It is the time for me to give them the freedom to be. No pressures. It is the time for me to pray. It is the time for me to remind them I love them and will never abandon their side.

They are resilient. They are invincible. They WILL make it to the other side of this brokenness.
Mended, strengthened, renewed. Ready for the adventure that awaits! This is the moment life prepared me to live.

No comments: