Wednesday 27 January 2010

my most favourite apology and compliment ever

26 days ago.
my last blog post.
heavy stuff-not mine, but friends' heavy stuff- is swirling around in my head waiting to be words on this page.
as i wait patiently for the story to gestate, i encountered something today at school which deserves a blog post.

i am thinking a full moon will soon bring life to the dark, winter sky because our students have been "wanky" all week.
i am exhausted especially by the verbal banter of our intermediate students ( ages 11-13), which borders on rudeness and disrespect, to both their peers and staff. actually, it is rude and disrespectful.
today i had an encounter with a student in grade 6 who was disrespectful to me while i was trying to help him. i admit i may have been over sensitive because of the cumulation of attitude around the school all week. however he did what he did and it was wrong. i am also frustrated because i work hard to help these students-yes it is my job- but i do go the extra mile. i don't expect thank yous but do expect to be given respect. i am fair to these students and they know that. i also realize we have bad days and i do think i would have handled things differently had it not been a week from hell!
so later on in the day before lunch this boy came to the class i was in to give me a written apology. it was thick and stapled. in my mind i'm thinking, "wow, this kid has written a novel to me!"
as i was reading it, tears filled my eyes. in my mind i'm thinking, " oh K. what are you doing. do NOT cry in front of this boy. yikes. why are you reacting like this?"
here is the 5-page, large font, bold print, stapled "novel" that made tears form in my eyes:








i LOVED it! i laughed. i thought it was the sweetest thing because this boy really did mean it. he is a "bugger" in class and on the playground, but i do really like him and do see his potential. he has had a bit of a rough life in the 11 years he has lived thus far, but he will be okay. i wish i could post a pic of him because he is such a cute young man with gorgeous big brown eyes and long dark eyelashes ( no he didn't charm me into an apology !!)
i gave this boy a hug ( side hug in the public hallway!) and told him i appreciated this apology and accepted it.
i explained to him why i reacted the way i did too.
all was good and ended well.

so the rest of the day continued to be crazy until last period.
immediately as i entered the grade 8 class, my sweet "D" ( the same girl who wonders why they put letters in math equations...) said to me in an excited tone,

"O-M-G ( yes she spelled out the letters instead of using the complete words) Miss W, I LOOOVVVEEE your pearls!"

i looked at her inquisitively, paused for a moment and then the light went on!
i am still not used to this "text language" talk!
her innocent, naive comments made me laugh yet again which i was grateful for after the day i had!

5 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a sweet note from that boy...! It is amazing, in a way---That he was so grown up about is apology...! You must be a WONDERFUL Teacher!

carolyn said...

So sweet! Thank goodness for those little moments that make all the crappy stuff fade away!

swilek said...

@OOLOTH I'd like to think I am..hehehehe! I am technically a "teacher's assistant". we call them "Educational Assistants" here. But I do basically teach them! It really is a great job!He was good today! YAY!

@ Carolyn...it is so true isn't it. I'm so glad God gives us these moments to make everything okay again!!!

sealaura said...

i love this! your kids sound so cute. i bet those moments make all the crazy ones worthwhile.

swilek said...

@sealaura..it certainly does!