Thursday 22 October 2009

Birthday Bash

Our disparate worlds converged back in 2006 and a unique friendship was birthed out of that union. Who would have guessed? Not I!

At first, he irritated me. Yet at the same time, I was also deeply intrigued by this eccentric barista. Remember my adventure with him here? It is hard to believe almost 3 years later I consider Anthony my friend!

I have a confession to make. I did something a little CRAZY on my birthday, which ironically enough fell on Labour Day this year! It also happened to be the first annual Brasilian Day in Toronto to celebrate Brasil’s Independence Day! My soul sista S. and I decided to join the festivities as part of my birthday bash!

Oh where was I? Oh yes, let me back-track a little for you...

Anthony thinks I look like the actress, Jamie Lee Curits and I think he looks like a cross between Elton John and the actor, Philip Seymour Hoffman. Every time I dine at Richtree Marche (the restaurant where Anthony works) he always tells me, "you need to come dressed in fish- net stockings like Jamie in "True Lies! You would look hot!"
Thanks Anthony! (I couldn't wait to tell Anthony that a man stopped me on the street in New York City back in August and said, "hey beautiful Jamie Lee Curtis!")

So when I showed up on my birthday without the fish-net stockings I was worried Anthony would be disappointed. On the contrary, he was VERY excited to see me, according to my sista S! You see I am convinced he is "batting for the other side" ( is that even an idiom?!) Not that I care, but I just don't think he is into me at all! At one point I had to use the washroom and left the watchful eye of Anthony. S. told me the entire time I was gone he kept asking her where I was and wondered when I was coming back. Apparently, S. told him it was my birthday and he asked to have his picture taken with me!!

Take 1: Say Cheese!
Take 2: Anthony didn't like his pic in the first take so we had to say cheese again!



To appease Anthony, after S. and I finished
our meal, we decided to grab our dessert and go over to his barista kiosk and order one of Anthony's famous coffee creations. While sitting enjoying our tasteful dessert and pleasant conversation, Anthony left. I figured he was now on break and would come join S. and I at the bar. I couldn't have been farther from the truth. He left! Vamoose! We have no idea where Anthony went. I was disappointed, so S. encouraged me to write my name and email address on a napkin and leave it for him. I "hymned and hawed" for a brief moment then made the decision to go for it! Why not. It was my birthday! "Live in the moment" is my motto after all! So I discretely placed the napkin in front of Anthony's fancy coffee machine - where I was CERTAIN he would find it.

I never received that email from Anthony. My suspicion is the napkin got thrown out by the manager that relieved Anthony for break. Or it could be as simple as, "he is just not that into me!" Whatever the case, I know I will continue to have many more adventures at Richtree Marche with my eccentric, barista friend!

The Brasilian Day festivities at Yonge and Dundas Square ...
Here I am armed with my Brasilian Portuguese phrase book, wearing the Brasilian colours...
S. and I dancing the Samba with the crowds of Brasilians!

No comments: