Sunday 25 October 2009

Where was I?

Where was I when the genocide in Rwanda was annihilating innocent lives?

I have been reading, "Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust," by Immaculee Ilibagiza this afternoon and this poignant question kept entering my thoughts.

I was living in Alberta at the time and barely recall any news reports about these atrocities taking place in Rwanda. I don't even recall praying for the people of Rwanda at church. How did I ignorantly disregard what was happening to my fellow human beings overseas? How did I miss this? What could I have done? As tears stream down my face, I wonder how weeping for the victims and survivors of this holocaust will help them now.

I am still processing all that I have read in this incredible book. I am utterly speechless at the courage and strength of this woman, Immaculee. I am amazed at her ability to cling to Jesus and extend grace and forgiveness amidst the horrific events she endured, witnessed and heard. Her faith in God is a miracle and an astounding example for mankind.

Where was I?

2 comments:

Ken said...

I've wondered the same thing. I don't remember hearing anything about it until the movie "Hotel Rawanda" came out. Since then, though, I've learned more since a good friend married a Rawandan guy and moved to Rawanda to be a missionary with him.

What I've tried to learn from all of this though, is not to let it happen again. If I catch a whiff of something happening somewhere, I try to take the time to read up on what's going on. I don't want to be so uninformed again.

swilek said...

@Ken...crazy isn't it that we heard nothing...the things that went on we horrific. Wellyou are doing a great work down in Bolivia...you are doing "justice" ! Like you, I don't want to be so uninformed again. I haven't seen hotel rwanda yet but want to..have to be in the right frame of mind!