Wednesday 3 December 2008

CANADA IN CRISIS

Our newly elected minority government is on the brink of being overturned. The opposition parties, including Bloc Quebecois ( the party that wants to SEPARATE from the rest of Canada), have formed a coalition and would run the country together should the Conservatives be overturned. The reason for this potential abolishment ( Is that a word..it is now!): the new Conservative budget wants to cut back on the federal funding given to the political parties. It makes sense to me during this time of recession. We all need to make some sacrifices.

So, our Prime Minister addressed the nation tonight. Here is what he said in his less-than- 5-minute speech. My bloggy friend over at Awareness has written some great posts about this whole situation.

I am sighing right now as I write this post. I don't normally swear ( well, I must confess, except in my car when I have road rage...but my road rage "potty mouth" has improved immensely since I switched from standard to automatic!!). However, it is fitting in light of what is about to take place here in Canada. For some of my friends that read this, please don't be offended or shocked by what I'm about to say, but I need to say it... We are fucked.

I have been praying ( ironic I know:) ) about the state of our country and those leading, but almost feel it is pointless. Yet deep down I know God hears our prayers and does care. He is sovereign and asks us to pray for our leaders in government. So may these men and women leading our great country make the right decision for the people not for their own agenda.

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea...God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day. Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall...The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress....He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth...

Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth...The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress." ( Psalm 46)

Lord hear our prayer.

7 comments:

•J•O•A•N• said...

i had no idea that any of this was going on in our country (i don't watch the news and work at home... i have a great excuse!), and i'm really glad you blogged so.. um... "articulately" about it. ha ha ha.

Barbara said...

That's just how I feel about the "change" here in the U.S.!

carolyn said...

Uh...you could use these: ***
That's one seriously ugly word!

A New Yorker said...

It's funny to read your post and read the difference between much more liberal canadian bloggers postings. They are so angry and want this coalition so badly. To me it's all tactics and trickery. Yes, it's legal, that's how your laws are set up, BUT it goes against the will of the people.

MUCH LIKE HOW OBAMA got into his senate seat. TRICKERY and tactics rather than just running on what he had to offer. Very very sad how things turn out lately.

Anonymous said...

Karyne...I understand your anger at what is currently happening with the Gov't situation but am very disappointed in your use of that word.....not appropriate whatsoever....I agree with Carolyn...you could have used #@$(%&$@) or **** anything but that! And really how does that correspond to your statement that God is in control.If God is in control then we are not #$(*%&*#(!
Your Friend Janet

swilek said...

I am referring to the poor decisions of our leaders...Yes, God is Sovereign but gives us free will...our leaders' choices (their free will) have not been in our best interest as a country. Thus, we are in deep trouble if they continue to exercise their poor free will and turn from God...much like what took place in the history of the Israelites and their rulers.

swilek said...

For the record, I chose not to use ***&&&%%%##@@ because I feel what's the point when I am refering to a swear word anyways. I am being honest about my feelings and after all my ancestors came from a town in Newfoundland that used to be called, "Swearing Cove"!!!:):)

Also, one more thing...I do believe in the power of prayer and we need to be praying for our leaders to first of all, turn back to God and second , for wisdom in their decision making.