Wednesday 24 December 2008

Twas the Night Before Christmas...

...and all through the house...

...the smell of "Fish and Brewis" filled the air, killing the mouse!


"Fish and Brewis" for dinner on Christmas Eve has been a tradition around our house for years. It is only recently that I have been able to partake in this family tradition passed down through my father's lineage!


The phone rang. Perfect timing. It was my friend Michelle wondering if I wanted to meet for coffee. She needed a break from her brood and Christmas preparations and I needed to get away from the smell of the salt cod before I got sick! Our destination: the newly opened "Coffee Culture" cafe down the road.


Michelle and I first met when we were 5 years old - on our first day of kindergarten! Our friendship has survived all these years and blossomed into a beautiful camaraderie. A rare gift. I am grateful God allowed our paths to cross on that September day many years ago.



Michelle took this pic of me at the cafe. I am decked out in my Christmas "bling" ( compliments to "Topshop", Belfast, Northern Ireland - July 2008). May I digress for one moment as I need to tell a story about those earrings...
Yesterday during my shift on the "kettles" at the LCBO, a customer came over to me and said, "I am giving you an extra toonie ($2) because I love your earrings." Another customer loved my hat, which is actually my dad's tweed hat from Donegal, Ireland, so he gave me an extra toonie too! Then another man asked, "What do you have at the top of your tree since you are wearing the star!!:)" (I'm also wearing my $4 Lacoste-Alligator sweater I got at Value Village long before Lacoste was so trendy and expensive.)
Notice the Queen on the TV screen in the background. Either she is giving a Christmas Eve address or it is advertising for her Christmas Day message!! Another family tradition on Christmas is to watch the Queen's speech on Christmas Day, so I found this funny that she should appear as Michelle was taking the pic:)


The inside of the tweed hat says, "Joy and health to you who wear this Donegal Tweed hat!" Here's to joy and health in 2009! Michelle and I have begun to run together and hope to compete in a 5 km ( maybe more!) race in 2009.








Refreshed and ready for the rest of the day's festivities, Michelle and I bid farewell. When I arrived home, dinner was ready...the table was set...can't forget the tacky Christmas toothpick holder from Gramma Whalen - another Christmas table tradition! I miss Gramma Whalen, but know she is looking down from heaven on us and wishing she could have some Fish and Brewis!!:)




Without further adieu, here is the infamous "Fish and Brewis", with drawn butter and potatoes...hailing all the way from Newfoundland ( I always thought Brewis was spelled Brews or Bruise because that is how the Newfies pronounce it!!) ...




Another family tradition on Christmas Eve is to drink Ginger Ale with the Fish and Brewis...







The salt cod still tastes soooo salty even though my dad soaked it all night and day!!

Here is the Brewis...



The history...






If you have a hankering next Christmas Eve for a traditional Newfie feast, here is how you prepare it...



For dessert....




...a delightful finishing touch!


After dinner, it was time to get ready for the Candlelight Christmas Eve Service at my parent's church...




Lighting the candles...






" ...While they were there, the time came for her to give birth. She gave birth to a son, her firstborn. She wrapped him in a blanket and laid him in a manger, because there was no room in the hostel. There were sheepherders camping in the neighborhood. They had set night watches over their sheep. Suddenly, God's angel stood among them and God's glory blazed around them. They were terrified. The angel said, 'Don't be afraid. I'm here to announce a great and joyful event that is meant for everybody, worldwide: A Saviour has just been born in David's town, a Saviour who is Messiah and Master'....at once the angel was joined by a huge angelic choir singing God's praises: Glory to God in the heavenly heights, Peace to all men and women on earth who please Him..." ( Luke 2, The Message)

A final family tradition on Christmas Eve is the opening of one gift before Santa officially arrives!
Here is mine...


I am very pleased with this gift!! :)






... "He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"


5 comments:

A New Yorker said...

It's always so much fun to see your life in this way! Merry Xmas.

•J•O•A•N• said...

merry christmas, karyne! if you ever want someone to run with just give me a call :)

Nestor Family said...

Merry Christmas! (Fun to see your fun!)

Anonymous said...

nice hat...

swilek said...

@ Lauren and Heidi..thanks and Merry Christmas/Happy Hanakah to you! It's fun to share my life!

@ Joan...I will give you a call for a run, am really enjoying it, which is surprising me...I would be lagging behind you though:)

@ Paul...thanks...I think I mentioned it's my dads...he bought it in Ireland and I think I just might claim it for my own!