Monday 6 August 2007

Matriarch

June 29, 1957, Toronto, ON.

Part of the Joseph Whalen family at Wyman and Mabel Whalen's ( my parents) wedding...

Back l to r: George, Wyman ( my dad ), Grandma Elsie, Grandpa Joe, Selina, Jethro
Front l to r: John, Edna, Irene
Missing: Marjorie, Ray

My dad was from a family of 9 siblings and his oldest sibling, Selina (and her husband Walt Russell), had 12 children of their own! Thus, my extended family is huge. In fact, at my Grandma's funeral on July 18, 2003, a census was taken and concluded she had 34 grandchildren; 69 great grandchildren and 7 great great grandchildren. Those numbers have increased!
On Saturday, my dad and I ( mom was away in Ottawa visiting her cousin) had the privilege of attending Aunt Selina's family reunion. Pictures and a brief description follow in the next few blog posts. The complete picture album can be found on my web album ( www.picasaweb.google.com/swile67) .
Being with aunt Selina made me miss my grandma Whalen! I always enjoyed visiting grandma and getting the update on the latest additions to our family. There was always a new picture to be viewed and a new story to be shared. ( and peppermint knobs to be eaten:)) Grandma Whalen knew ALL the names and ALL the birthdays of her grandchildren, great grandchildren and great great children. She rarely looked at her book where she recorded those details! I was always amazed at her memory! I was thankful for the time I could spend with her and could listen for hours to the family stories she devulged. My aunt Selina is the same - she is now passing down the same tradition for her large, wonderful family! What a blessing! I am so glad I can turn to my aunt Selina when I have questions about my family history that dad either forgets or doesn't know the answer! Enjoy the reunion recap.....

No comments: