Monday 6 August 2007

Jigg's Dinner at the Selina ( Whalen) Russell Family Reunion!

It was a thrill to attend the Russell Family Reunion on Saturday! I was able to visit with cousins I haven't seen in ages and also meet cousins ( well technically second and third cousins) for the first time! There were approximately 76 people in attendance - all from one family!! At any Newfie gathering, you will always find great food, great fellowhip, great music and great fun!! The Russell family reunion was no exception!! We enjoyed an amazing Jigg's dinner ( a boiled one pot dinner of corned beef, cabbage, carrots, parsnips and dumplings with sides of pease pudding and figgy duff....we can't forget the peppermint knobs)! My aunt Selina has a wonderful family...what a gift! I know if my uncle Walt was still alive he would be so proud of his family! What a heritage!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a blast, Karyne! I've always envied people with big families. My mom has one sister and my dad never had siblings, so our family is minuscule. Glad you had fun. The Jigg's dinner sounds interesting, especially the peppermint knobs! Hmmm... :-)
~ Maryne

swilek said...

It is neat to have a big family...I'll have to get dad to make you a jigg's dinner!!! I haven't mastered it yet!:) I LOVE peppermint knobs and they are hard to come by...used to get them at a Newfie store in Oshawa but don't think the store is around now...have to wait until I go to Newfoundland!!!