Saturday 3 March 2007

"Prettyboy"

" Prettyboy" was the original name of this 80's band, according to the man that sat beside me at Jack Astors last night! This stranger and I started to chat about the Leafs game on the overhead TV screen while I waited for my friend to come back from the ladies room! FINALLY, my friend returned and this man, who was still clearly stuck in the 80's ( yes, a grey mullet adorned his head!!) , asked us what we were "up to." When we told him we were going to a movie, he revealed to us that he was the manager of "Loverboy." It took me a few minutes to register then I asked him, "you mean the 80's band Loverboy?" He said, "yes!" He then proceeded to tell us that he was responsible for changing their name from "Prettyboy" to "Loverboy!" My friend and I were very excited as we both loved their music when we were in high school! We had no idea they were still performing! My friend and I didn't end up going to the movie, instead John (yes, at this point we were on a first name basis!) put us on the guest list for the Loverboy concert next door!! It was surreal...they still sounded exactly the same, but were looking pretty old and rough! We even caught a glimpse of them backstage smoking up before they performed. I found it quite sad. They were such a huge success in the 80's and now they seem "washed up" - still stuck in the 80's - yet still sounded amazing. I found it quite hilarious that they had a mob of security surround them as they walked through the crowd to the stage. I wonder if they were afraid the groupies - the little old ladies and my friend and I - would accost them! We had quite the adventure and a most enjoyable evening ! It was worth waiting 22 years to see and MEET Loverboy - aka - Prettyboy!

No comments: