Monday 29 June 2009

Goodbye

"A black-haired little girl with a joyful grin,
Lights up the room as she walks in.

Proudly standing, O Canada she sings,
Thinking about her favourite things.
Nail polish, lip gloss, clickity shoes,
Boy whales, girl whales, Miss W's whales too.

Excited about the day ahead,
She soon checks to see what she has read.
'Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See?'
Her favourite storybook she rhymes off with glee!

Quickly her thoughts turn to that magic hour (9:30)
When new toilets, especially white toilets, have all the power.
Flush, flush, flushing we go, 'Don't waste the water...no, no, no.'

Finally, ready to work with all her might,
Enthusiastically she perseveres until she gets it right.

A black -haired little girl with a joyful grin,
Lights up the room as she walks in."
(I wrote this poem about "S", my student with autism, when she was in grade 4, December,2004)

("S's" Grade 8 Graduation, June 18, 2009. Photo posted with permission from "S's" parents )

That black -haired little girl with that joyful grin is now a black-haired beautiful young woman about to light up the halls of high school.

I can hardly believe it was 6 years ago when I first began working with this precious student who had autism. She could barely make a sentence that would make any sense to the average person, always echoing what you asked. This wonderful girl taught me so much through the years about life. God used this precious girl to teach me so many valuable lessons that drew me closer to Him and taught me more of His character. (One example I wrote about here Seeing her blossom into a high-functioning young woman, able to communicate effectively with the world around her, has been an amazing journey! She now can talk up a storm and converse with anyone. (She even has a Facebook account and chats regularly with her friends!) One would barely know anything was "wrong" with "S" if one met her on the street.

Yet, my heart broke for this young woman a few days before graduation. I was asked to drive "S" to her new high school in order that she could participate in the end of the year party with her new class. I must interject here and tell you that "S" has been integrated into mainstream classrooms all her school life. The new class she will be involved with at the high school is a special ed. class, with some integration into the mainstream. She is not able to communicate with any students in that class, unless the four new students coming in September are high-functioning. Thankfully, the teachers and EA's are wonderful people!

The disturbing part for me: The story unfolding behind "S" 's eyes.

"S" 's eyes were filled with heartache. She knew something wasn't right. It was almost unbearable to see the intense sadness in those big, beautiful brown eyes. We are not used to seeing sadness but rather joy and peace. "S" politely participated in some of the activities but was constantly looking out the door of the classroom into the Student Services Department where she saw many former schoolmates. She smiled, waved and where possible, chatted with these former school mates. Eventually "S" asked me if we could leave - 2 hours earlier than planned. I complied because I knew it was too much for her to take in at once.

As we silently drove away, my heart was weeping for this precious young woman. September will be a huge culture shock. However, she will survive. She is a fighter and will make the most of her situation. She will light up each classroom and influence the lives of those teachers and students lucky enough to know her! "S" 's peace will radiate incessantly!

I will miss my sweet "S" but will NEVER forget her magical, joyful grin!

(PS Thankfully "S" 's parents have asked that we stay in touch! YAY!)

"Peace 'S' "

-painted with parental permission by S.D., my best friend, from a photo I took of "S" in the staff room of my school -February, 2009

3 comments:

A New Yorker said...

Your friend is mucho talented! And you have a huge heart!

awareness said...

Beautiful story. The connections we can make in our world of work stretch out far and wide in meaning and in learning.

I hope the your beautiful friend finds her way in September. how unfair!

Our systems just don't understand the damage they do, nor the way to creating individual programs for human beings who don't quite fit in the "way things are set up."

swilek said...

@Lauren Yes she is indeed...she got permission from S's parents to enter that portrait into a contest. I'm waiting to see if she wins!

@ Awareness...it certainly does and I am so honoured and grateful for these connections. THe systems are unfair and I feel bad for the parents of these children..they want their children to experience life in the same way as the others...she will be okay. Do you know that she just sent an email to me to pass on to my dad wishing him a happy b-day...she remembered..that is her thing..remembering everyone's b-day! It was the sweetest email. She is soo high functioning now!