Saturday 13 June 2009

Long overdue for a good Yarn!

Time to amuse you, my bloggy friends, with a few of my student yarns I stowed away for a rainy day. Actually, it isn't raining here in my neck of the woods. In fact, it is a gorgeous, warm, "sunny-with -a-few-clouds-put-on-the-air-conditioner" kind of day. Long overdue I might add!


Thursday was a "feel-like-dressing-up-for-work-knowing-full-well-my-clothes-may-be-ripped-and-pulled-by-my-student-and-knowing-full-well-I-may-have-to-run-after-him" kind of day. Alas, I risked it all for the sake of fashion! I even wore dangling accessories! I felt glorious. The day went off without a hitch until.....

....the last period of the day in the grade 3 classroom. My lovely $2.oo yellow shoes had started to hurt my squished feet. In fact, I was beginning to get a blister at the start of the toe area. But I knew the end of the day was in sight when I could kick off my heels and breathe a sigh of relief. As I was sitting helping my student "Q" (the boy who has autism), his seat partner asked me in a very practical and polite manner,

" Miss W, do those shoes hurt?" Smiling I looked at him and said, "YES!" Without missing a beat and still using his practical and polite tone, he concluded, "then why are you wearing them?" He turned away and got back to work. What more could I say! One day he may understand why women put themselves through torture for the sake of fashion. Then again, he probably never will never understand the mind of a woman!! He's learning young!



Two weeks prior to this conversation, I had an interesting dialogue with "Q" about a skin tag that has suddenly formed on my inside right arm. Part of the aging process! Yippee! Anyhoo...

...Horrified, "Q" looked at me behind his horned rimmed glasses and yelled,
" Miss W, you have a GIANT pimple on your arm."

"Oh that," I said. "It's called a skin tag."

From that moment on, EVERYDAY "Q" seeks me out and asks in a concerned tone, "Miss W, how is your skin tag doing today?"
Thanks "Q" for drawing attention to this embarrassing piece of skin on my arm!!

"Q" is a cutie and there is never a dull moment when he is around. In fact, around the same time as the skin tag conversation, "Q" and his grade 3 classmates were embarking on writing the "dreaded" EQAO test. EQAO is a government, standardized test that takes place every year for grade 3, grade 6, and grade 10 students in Ontario. The students work hard in preparation for this 3-day testing, including "Q." He was allowed to have his work modified but his parents wanted him to keep up with the rest of the class. I totally respect that and am not in any way criticising their decision. But, it was difficult for "Q" to keep up. His poor little brain was in overdrive and you could see the strain on his face. So one day when I came to his class he greeted me with these words:

"Miss W, I have decided that I am going to run away to the circus. I have made up my mind."

"Why?"

"Because I want to run away from "V.F." I am tired of all this work. I have decided. But Miss W, I want you to know that you have always been so kind to me."

How cute is that?!!:) I loved his creative way of dealing with the stress of the situation! I am grateful he uses his words instead of being physically aggressive like some of my students who have autism!! I think I convinced him that being in the circus involves a lot of hard work too! Phew! He decided to stay put for now! We would surely miss him if he did run away to the circus. I think I would have to join him!

Well that is all for now folks. I am trying to catch up on all your blogs now. I may not have time to comment on all blogs but will soon.

I hope sometime during the course of your day you can share some yarns with those around you. Laughter is medicine to the soul!



2 comments:

A New Yorker said...

Sweet kids. Great Teach!

swilek said...

they are sweet...they make up for the bad days!!