Sunday 18 February 2007

Who can you trust?

One last entry today that I need to get off my chest...

I feel sick...sick of people calling themselves Christians and not living like it...not walking the talk. I know as humans we are not perfect and we do sin. And I know God forgives and extends His grace to us. But, that doesn't mean we have licence to keep on sinning. As a teenager growing up in my church, I was deeply affected by one of my youth leaders infidelity and the infidelity of a pastor where I attended youth group on occasion. I wondered how both these men could keep on living a double standard, while still preaching to/teaching us. It made me question my faith and question my trust of our leaders in the church. I thank God it didn't turn me away from Him, nor from my church. ( I do believe my former youth leader has been reconcilled to God and to his family!)

Today, I found out another former leader in my church growing up has been charged with many counts of fraud and basically stealing millions of dollars from innocent, trusting individuals. I looked up to this man and his family as a youth ...I even babysat for them occasionally and taught their kids in Sunday School. I can hardly believe he is now in jail. Wow...I feel sick. I googled his name and am astounded at what I am read. For this man to be a professing Christian, I do not understand how he allowed this to go on with a clear conscience. I feel so angry..angry at these Christian leaders who give us regular - joe Christians a bad name. Is it so hard to live out our faith honestly and with integrity. I'm sorry but there is no excuse for this...sure Satan does a great job at tempting us, but come on, we are all adults here. If you are not willing to walk the talk and pay the price then don't call yourself a Christian...don't shame Jesus' name...we honest living Christians have enough trouble trying to clean up the messes from Christian leaders who have gone astray. Christian parents, make certain you are living out your faith in front of your kids and walking the talk at home . They are watching and don't be fooled...their faith is affected .

I am very conscious of this fact and want people, especially those that come behind me to know I walk the talk. No, I am not perfect, but I refuse to compromise my faith. I want people to know and see that I am a saint who sins, but because of God's amazing grace, love and forgiveness, I am someone who wants to and who will keep reflecting God's love in this crazy world in the most honest, most real way I know how!

No comments: