Friday 25 February 2011

Fruit Salad

As I was about to put a spoonful of delicious fruit salad into my mouth, I heard this soft chanting behind me. I was in our staff kitchen helping the students in the spec. ed. class make fruit salad. Two of the boys who have autism (one of the boys I wrote about here) were finished their duties and sitting on one of the green leather staff sofas. As I turned around, I saw these boys peeking above the back of the sofa smiling mischievously and chanting my name over and over again. The comical part about this teasing was the accent coming out of the mouth of one of the boys. He has a Canadian accent but was chanting in his parent's native tongue! I had to turn away and laugh! It was the cutest thing. The teacher then piped in and told the boys, " we do not tease in our class, so please stop!" Immediately the boys said to me, "I'm sorry 'Kawwwin'!" I'm just thankful they didn't swear at me! I LOVE that these autistic boys have a sense of humour. This "incident" made my whole day! Must have been something in the fruit salad!

We can learn so much about life through students with special needs. I am grateful they are a part of our planet. It is my desire the world will come to value these precious ones more fully. It is a honour for me to work with these children on a daily basis. My life is richer.


No comments: