Saturday 26 June 2010

Thank you Nellie

I am a survivor. Barely, truth be told!

I was immersed in the wilds of "pre-teenage-dom" this week and let's just say it was quite the fierce adventure! I was one of four chaperones on our Grade 8 Grad Trip to our nation's capital, Ottawa. Overall it was good and I LOVED touring all the historical places and museums, including our Parliament. I have many stories and pictures I could share but choose to just highlight one moment that inspired and profoundly affected me. It caught me by surprise actually.

We were standing on Parliament Hill, looking at the statue of our first Prime Minister of Canada, Sir John A. MacDonald. Our tour guide, whom I could write an entire novel about, was rattling on about something. The chaperones were trying to keep the students quiet, which was next to impossible! Out of the corner of my eye, I glimpsed a group of statues in the distance. I wanted to explore but wasn't sure if I should wander away from our group. Curiousity got the better of me! As I approached this group of statues, I immediately knew who they were...

Nellie McClung and her fellow reformers who first fought to have Canadian women declared as "persons" in 1929, then fought for the women's right to vote in 1916...



As I stood in the middle of these statues taking my photos, I paused...

... for I needed to take a moment to reflect on the ramifications of this historical event.

... for I needed to take a moment to offer my gratitude for the sacrifices made by these women who forged the way enabling Canadian women to freely vote.

It was a gift. One I realized I took for granted until standing amidst their presence on "the Hill!"
It was an empowering, poignant moment for me. Thank you Nellie McClung and your fellow reformers! Thank you.

My solitude was quickly interrupted by the bellows of my students calling, "Miss W., Miss W., Miss W......"

No comments: