Sunday 23 January 2011

war within

***I came across this "work-in-progress" from November 2010 and decided to post it today. I also decided to not edit this piece and leave "as-is." Some thoughts to mull over!***

"Snow Angel" While walking the dog one cold January 2011 evening, I stumbled upon this freshly made snow angel, the design of a young child. I too LOVED making snow angels as a kid! Ahhh, the innocence of youth! I knew I wanted to capture this image, so thankfully I had my cell phone to take this pic.

i got into this power struggle with a student today, which is not a good thing (and which i normally never do). the class had a supply teacher so the students were taking some liberties - of course! thankfully i had the mind to get both myself and this student to step back and take a break. my principal happened to be visiting this classroom so i asked for his help. "how do i get out of this pickle i'm in!" i realized i reacted because i felt personally attacked - also not a good thing. never take anything personal when dealing with students. but somehow being in this environment takes me on a journey back into the memories of my years in junior high school, only with a clearer and wiser perspective. war of words. that is what this student and i were fighting about. this student is very good at manipulating words. semantics. it got me thinking of the war of sorts that goes on inside us, which eventually translates to unrest in our world. i got to thinking of northern ireland, the country of my ancestors, and its troubles. thinking of racism. generations that can stop it but don't. why do we continue raging our war within, which is reflected onto the community around us, when we speak of desiring peace in our world? what happened to the innocence of our youth?

"Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it." (Psalm 34:14)

"A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." (Proverbs 14:30)

" For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." (Isaiah 9:6)

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand." (Romans 5:1)

No comments: