Friday 28 January 2011

High School memories and the explosion of the Challenger Space Shuttle



The "Catwalk," once a meeting place for students, now a "greenhouse."

Did time stand still? It was the same hustle and bustle back on January 28, 1986. Exam time. As I walked through those doors of my old high school and down that familiar hallway on my way to a workshop, students rushed past me with the same focused intent trying to get to their exams on time. A vivid memory came flooding back instantly to my mind. It was in this particular hallway behind the stage doors exactly 25 years ago while I was rushing to get to my grade 13 biology exam- on time- did I learn the news of the Challenger Space Shuttle. I could not believe it had exploded within seconds of take off. Millions of people were watching because it was the first time a civilian-a teacher- was on board. I haven't been in those classrooms for 25 years.

As I sat in my old English classroom for this workshop, I was transported back to my high school days. I LOVED high school so my memories of strolling those hallways and classrooms with my friends were good. It was a strange feeling for me sitting in the same desk where today my legs barely fit under the desk! Few changes have been made to RS McLaughlin C.V.I. since 1986. Still lingering are a few of my teachers who will retire at the end of the school year! The majority of my high school teachers were AMAZING and inspired me to excellence.

I noticed the science classrooms have been renovated and no longer have the desk/workstations with the bunson burner in the middle. I noticed the classroom where I learned how to type on the IBM electric typewriters is now a computer lab! The catwalk is no longer a place to sit but a makeshift greenhouse of sorts! The catwalk was an important part of our social times with friends in high school. How sad the students can no longer sit in the catwalk. The cafeteria has been repainted, however our "table" is still in the same spot! The original chalkboards with oak trim still hang in the classrooms. The classrooms now seem much smaller. An elevator has been installed. The old phone booth is now a storage closet.

The highlight for me was seeing the laminated posters of the school musical productions mounted on the wall of the hallway behind the stage. Every year I highly anticipated being involved in our school musicals. We had a blast. It was because of these productions I now adore the theatre!

I think time did stand still. At least for a moment anyways. I am grateful. My time in high school helped to shape me into the strong, confident, intelligent, loyal, honest woman I am today. Thank you teachers and staff at MCVI!

The infamous phone booth!

The following are the posters from the musical productions I sang and acted in...


No comments: