Thursday 22 July 2010

visit with American cousins in Kittaning, PA

Last weekend, I went on a road trip with my folks travelling down the Alleghany River in Pennslyvania, USA. Final stop: a small town nestled on the banks of this gorgeous river where my dad's cousins live. Enjoy the photo collage of this latest adventure.
I
Posted by Picasa

Some noteworthy observations about life in smalltown USA:
* the old country church (circa 1872) we attended Sunday morning had air conditioning but no indoor plumbing. Their outhouse was the first I'd been in that was carpeted! It was a "pleasure" doing business in there!
* the graves at the church cemetery are marked with American flags and special badges if the deceased was a war veteran
* you can't get away from fried food
* everyone is so friendly and willing to help, esp. while shopping at the Walmart
* the sales are INCREDIBLE and 100% better than in Canada
* the court house square reminds me of "Back to the Future"
* only my parents will plan a party in their hotel room for the whole clan!
*everyone is patriotic and speaks their mind-out loud!
I like that!

PS Click on the collage and it will enlarge so you can actually see some of the pics!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Looks like a fun trip, Karyne! Saw the Churchill gravestone. What was the first name on it?

swilek said...

@ Carol...oh yes, these Churchills are related to your hubby. "Ambrose" (on gravestone)is my dad's first cousin and he died in '79. His wife is "Jean"( on left side of gravestone) and she is the one we visit. Your mom-in-law would know how we are related! small world isn't it!