Monday 7 May 2007

PS to Blind Dates and Babies!!

Gratefulness fills my heart for the children that are in my life. I am thankful I play a part in my friends' children's lives (and their extended family) and in the lives of my nieces, nephew and god-daughter! Even though I am not a mom, I can share a small part of " a day in the life of a mom," or rather, " a LONG YEAR in the life of a mom!" I am blessed to love and be loved by these precious gifts from God. (Yes, even those adolescents!!:)) I am and will always be "Aunt Skin" to this wonderful extended family! Here are a few of my favourite conversations with some of my "children"...

  • When told by his mom that I would be moving back to Ontario (from Edmonton), C. asked, "can Karyne live with us until Jesus comes?"
  • Every time I visit the Dallas home, T. asks, " can you call your mom and see if you can have a sleepover!"
  • T. asked me who my best friend was...when I replied "your mother of course," she looked at me in disgust and said, "well mine is Jesus!"

My all time favourite conversation occurred when I lived in Edmonton. I was babysitting C. one evening and as I put him to bed in the bottom bunk, he started crying for his father. I tried everything to calm him down, but nothing worked. I eventually had a brainwave....I told him to think about something else! Without missing a beat, C. looked up at me with his big, blue eyes and said, " I'm thinking you look like a bat!"

Out of the mouth of babes!!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

You do play an important part in so many little lives Karyne! Many are blessed because of all you do with and for thier little ones!

swilek said...

Thanks Catherine for your words of encouragement!! I appreciate it!!