Thursday 16 June 2016

The title of my autobiography would be...

My friend Pip has begun a series called, Becoming Questions .  Here is his latest question:
What would be the title of your autobiography and why?
The title of my autobiography would be:
"Strong After All:  The adventure of life that was explored."
Why?
I guess my life motto has been, "life is an adventure waiting to be explored." I have no idea if I copied this saying from someone or modified a quote to suit me. But somewhere along the way I adopted this motto for my life.
In addition,  my brothers would always say to me when we were young that I was "socially inadequate." You see, I always fumbled with words. In my head I knew exactly what I wanted to say but it came out all mumble jumbled. It didn't help that my two older brothers made fun of me. These words have never left really even though I am not bitter and am a confident woman now. But I always struggled with self esteem issues in this area and never felt I was strong. I felt I never had anything of value to say.
I was also always overshadowed by my two dearest friends I chummed around with all the time. They were the popular ones whom everyone seemed to listen to.
Who knew... I WAS strong after all!  Even though some insecurities creep back into my soul at times, I know I DO have something of value to say!
I look back over my life and not only see God's hand upon it, I see a strong, independent, smart, beautiful woman who loved life to the fullest and was always up for adventures. No where was she socially inadequate and no where did her voice need to be silenced.
I cannot believe I moved to a totally new city, far from home, knowing no one and formed a new life for myself. I cannot believe I lived in Sweden for a year. I cannot believe I travelled the world-well part of our world-on my own. I cannot believe I backpacked across Europe experiencing incredible adventures. I cannot believe I made it across a zip line ropes course at camp as an adult. I cannot believe I survived the worst year and a half of my life living through my loved one's mental health challenges. I cannot believe I had the courage to leave a toxic church and find peace in my new parish.
Who knew I was strong. I AM strong. I am proud. I am proud I inherited this strength from my Grandmothers.
Who knew I WAS socially adequate. I AM socially adequate.
Who knew I had a voice. I HAVE an important voice.
Look out world! God is not finished with me yet. More adventures await.
Never stop exploring. Never stop using your voice. Stop believing the lies and believe the truth.
STRONG AFTER ALL!

No comments: