Saturday 23 May 2009

Signs

I have always had a fascination with unique signage. I love the story they tell, the humour they evoke, the play on words, the colours, the way the advertising industry manipulates the consumer, the creativity, the history, the inspiration. It is a powerful median that can be used in both positve and negative ways. I would have loved to be part of the creative team that invents the ideas for advertisements and commercials for tv. That gift inside me LOVES to float to the surface every now and again. Carmi over at Written Inc. wants us to explore SIGNS this week for "Thematic Photographic. I haven't participated in a while due to my crazy schedule. It feels good to be back.
Do you notice signs around you?
Here are some of my favourites:
Le Seine, Paris, March 2007
Inn in Wellfleet, Cape Cod, August 2007



Montmartre, Paris, March 2007

An icon serving the music industry for over 50 years...Massey Hall has incredible acoustics, Toronto, October 2008


Another icon, Toronto, March 2009



Wellfleet, Cape Cod, August 2007



Grimsby, March 2009



Intercourse, Pennslyvania, August 2007
(yes, there really is a town called Intercourse!)


Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto, May 2009
(notice the placement of this sign in the cemetery washrooms!!)



Toronto, May 2009


4 comments:

A New Yorker said...

I took some interesting photos today. One was sort of a sign and very ironic. Can't wait to post it too. :)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Love all these signs! "INTERCOURSE" PA.....lol...Well, if you actually lived there and you traveled a lot, the quesion "Where are you from?" Might really start some very interesting conversations! LOL!

sealaura said...

wow! your collection of signs are pretty awesome. you had me giggling :)

to answer your question about my español :
"see you monday, if not before"
and que se diviertan! means ?"have fun!"

I don't know if I have mentioned but I LOVE french, español pays the bills and it is my first language mais J'aime le français cherie!

swilek said...

@ Lauren..can't wait to see them...post them soon!
@ OOLOTH...funny isn't it...it is actually a very quaint village..loads of Amish through there which is kind of ironic!i would have loved to be from there because it sure would be a great conversation starter!
@ sealaura...J'aime francais aussi mon cherie! Tu parle tres bon. mais , je parle francais petit peu! I had a great time in Paris trying to converse in French just from my high school French so many years ago. i had a wee guide to help but it was so cool. the french were so kind and of course perked up when i told them i je viens du canada..their reply with smiles: ah oui, Montreal? have a great weekend ladies!